Ukraine Translation: Благовещенский Кафедральный собор
Location : Kharkiv Ukraine.
Address: Kharkiv, Kharkiv Oblast, 61000
Phone: 057 712 4737
This cathedral is Situated at town's historical center, the grandiose Annunciation Cathedral - is one of the most beautiful Kharkiv churches - rivets attention by its original forms and uncommon striped patterns. Built in Russian and Byzantine style, it is recognized as unique architectural monument of the early 20th century and inevitably remains in the center of tourists' attention.
This was a gorgeous Cathedral inside and outside. This is an active church so there were people praying inside all around. Certainly worth a visit. The beauty and work that was put into this place is a reality that is worth the admiration.
The Annunciation Cathedral is the main Orthodox church of Kharkiv, Ukraine. The pentacupolar Neo-Byzantine structure with a distinctive 80-meter-tall bell tower was completed on October 2, 1888, from designs by a local architect, Mikhail Lovtsov. The church was consecrated in 1901, and the earlier Annunciation church was then pulled down.
The candy-striped cathedral supplanted the older Assumption Cathedral as the main church of Kharkiv and was one of the largest and tallest churches of the Russian Empire. The icon screen used to be of Carrara marble. The church was frescoed in a style derived from St Vladimir's Cathedral in Kiev. On July 3, 1914 the church became recognized as the city's cathedral.
The cathedral was closed to worshipers in 1930, but it was reopened during the German occupation in 1943. The church was then in the hands of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church and harbored a school, though claims abound that it was later used as a warehouse.
Since 1946 the cathedral has been the seat of the Kharkiv and Bohodukhiv eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate), while the Intercession Convent has served as the bishop's residence. The Ecumenical Patriarch Athanasius III Patelaros and several saintly bishops are buried in the cathedral.
Address: Chernyshevska St, 15, Kharkiv, Kharkiv Oblast, 61000
Location : Kharkiv Ukraine.
The arrival of Roman Catholics made up of different nationalities. Signature sheets to record donations for the construction of the temple were printed in Russian, Polish, French and German. With the migration of the population during the First World War in the parish highlights the Polish group. The church begins to operate a public meeting "Polish House", which housed the employment office of refugees Kharkiv branch of the Society of assistance to poor families of the Poles, who took part in the war, and the victims of the hostilities the Polish population, gymnastics section in the old church building
Since that time, among Kharkiv and secured the Polish terminology - "church", "priest." Since 1915 in Kharkov, there is a large number of Armenian refugees from the territory of the Ottoman Empire, including the Armenian Catholics, influenced the ethnic composition of the parish.
Address: Universytets'ka St, 11, Kharkiv, Харківська, 61000
Phone: 057 731 5030
This was the second to last church I visited. The Assumption or Dormition Cathedral was the main Orthodox church of Kharkov, Russian Empire (present day Kharkiv, Ukraine) until the construction of the Annunciation Cathedral in 1901. The cathedral stands on the University Hill by the bank of the Lopan River and dominates the entire downtown. The Neoclassical cathedral bell tower, built in the 1820s and 1830s to a height of 90 meters, remained the tallest building in the city until the 21st century.The original Dormition Church was built in the Kharkov Fortress in the 1680s. It was completely rebuilt after a fire to a Late Baroque design loosely based on St Clement's Church, Moscow. The cathedral was consecrated in 1780 in the presence of Pyotr Rumyantsev, governor of Little Russia (geographically most of the modern North Eastern Ukraine) at that time. The church boasted a gilded icon screen, carved from limewood to Rastrelli's Rococo design.
The free-standing Alexander Bell Tower was built in the aftermath of Napoleon's expulsion from Russia "to express the people's gratitude to Alexander I". It used to be the second tallest building in the Little Russia Governorate after the Great Lavra Bell Tower, Kiev. The seat of the local bishop was moved from the older Intercession Cathedral to the Dormition Church in 1846. A large French clock was installed in the bell tower in 1856.
The Soviet authorities closed the cathedral and had its domes torn down in 1929. The belfry was further damaged by a tornado in 1975. The cathedral was restored in the late 1970s and reverted to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in 2006. The local bishopric shares it with a philharmonic society which had a Rieger–Kloss organ installed in the building back in 1986.
Ref Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormition_Cathedral,_Kharkiv.